Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Desire to Inquire: Children's Books

"There's nothing quite as special as a favorite book that your parents would read to you - with all the voices- before bed. My favorite part- my parents would make the stories up - these adventures have stayed with me and long to be shared"

Ok, so another creative arena I'd love to take part in is
{children's books}- both as author and illustrator. I have had several manuscripts and dummy books collecting dust on my shelf for several years now. Time to dust these off??

The worst part? The lead character is a penguin (adorable i know!) but I guess I was ahead of my time. Now that these lil cuties are such a hot item, will my book be lost in the sea of "just another penguin"?

My Universe question: How can so many bad books get published and be on the shelves of Barnes & Noble yet it is so ridiculously difficult to get a book published (so I'm told)?
- why do i let this deter me?-
- how do you succeed without all of your money going to publishers? -

Children of the world: Hold tight, the cutest lil penguin story and other animal adventures will reach your lil hands in hardcover eventually!

Another avenue: Book Cover design
This can make or break a sale as consumers are drawn to eye catching covers. Anyone out there looking for design, I'm your gal! I already have one published book under my belt.


2 comments:

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Hey there, Alison! Kristin sent me your way...

If you are really interested in publishing books for kids, I have a few points for you:

First, if you have to pay a publisher to publish your book, something is wrong. Never submit your work to a "publisher" or agent who asks for a reader's fee or other money up front. For more information on scammers and just bad eggs, check out the Writer Beware Blogs (http://www.accrispin.blogspot.com/) or Preditors and Editors (http://pred-ed.com/).

Second, if you are writing/illustrating PB's, make sure that your main character is a kid. You may have drawn a penguin, but your pint-sized readers will relate to a kid first and foremost. Your penguin should think, act, and talk like a kid. Think of him as a kid in a penguin suit.

Last, if you are serious about getting into kidlit, check out the SCBWI website (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) at http://www.scbwi.org/. You might even attend a local conference or workshop. You would be amazed at what you can learn and the contacts you can make.

I wish you all the luck with your penguin and hope to see him on the shelves!

~M.A. Scott

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice Mary Ann, so appreciate it! Will definitely look into those sites :)

Post a Comment